Thursday, March 29, 2007

The Start Date Dilemma

Well, I broke the news to my boss today. I was so nervous that I was shaking when I went into her office. I was afraid that she'd be nasty about it since we've been so busy and she's been stressed. I knew timing was everything but I had to get her while she was alone in her office and not with a client (which is harder than it seems). However, she was very sweet and said she was sad to see me go but understands my situation. She knows I deserve more money and to be more than an assistant. She told me that I have tremendous talent and she sees me going far. It meant alot to me and I told her I've learned so much during my time at the firm that I could not have learned elsewhere and that I was very appreciative. I feel good that I am moving on but I'm sad and nervous at the same time. I am just a cataclysm of emotion right now, but not in a bad way.

I am still having a dilemma about my start date. Two weeks notice would end my employment on April 13 and start me on April 16. I would like to have an extra week to chill out and get my head straight for challenges of this new position. That means a start date of April 23. However, my new supervisor-to-be said that she and the company president will be out of town for business until that Friday and I could either start that Friday (the 27th) or on Monday, the 30th. Unfortunately, our closing date for the house is the 30th. Ugh, decisions! I emailed my supervisor-to-be and told her about my situation. I asked to start on Friday the 27th and just take a half-day on Monday the 30th. I didn't want her to think I wasn't anxious about starting and I didn't want to keep pushing back my start date. I explained that this was a one-time matter and that I don't plan on taking off much time during my "probationary period". I hope she's okay with this proposition. The closing date can't be changed at this point and I don't know what else to do.

Also, DH talked to our apartment complex today and they said as long as I can get a letter from my current job that states when my last day will be, we can get out of the lease under their "friendly clause". The most we would pay is about $500, which is doable, unlike the $3,000 for rent through the end of our lease. I will ask our HR person for the letter once my start date is confirmed with the new company. I'm thinking next week sometime. It will be better timing since we have been slammed this week and everyone is running around like chickens with their heads cut off. It might be better to ask for it when everyone is less strung out. Just a thought.

No comments: