Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Believe The Hypo

It's CD2, my heaviest day. I don't know if its the bloating going to my head but I've been thinking alot today about our situation. We've been seriously trying now for 5 months. Okay, so June and July don't really count because of the ovarian cyst. I wasn't ovulating so we didn't have a snowball's chance in hell. But, that's still 3 months of no results, despite BDing on some key fertile days.

I did some research today and I am beginning to think I have hypothyroidism. Before you call me crazy, consider the facts:

(1) My average pre-O temps are pretty low, in the low 97's. Not drastically low but low in comparison to other women on Fertility Friend, who seem to be in the mid to high 97's. Hypothyroidism causes lower temps due to the underactive hormone levels.
(2) Thyroid issues run in my family. Both of my aunts have thyroid disorders - one has hypo and the other has hyper.
(3) I always feel fatigued and could lay down and take a nap at pretty much any point in the day. I always though it was just because I work hard but I get a regular 6-8 hours of sleep per night. Apparently, hypothyroidism can cause this.
(4) Hypothyroidism can cause anxiety and panic attacks, which I am prone to.
(5) Another major symptom is infertility. Untreated hypothyroidism can cause annovulation and long cycles. My last cycle was 41 days and I didn't O until CD28.
(6) Hypothyroidism causes a four-fold increase in the probability of miscarriage.

The good news is that this can easily be treated through hormone therapy, aka medication everyday for the rest of my life. My symptoms should start to fade within days. The bad news is that all my fertility problems may not be solved with the medication. It would just be a step in the right direction if I do, in fact, have this disorder.

I am going to call my OB/GYN tomorrow to discuss whether or not they can do the blood test and diagnosis in their office or if I have to see an endocrinologist. I really feel that I may have uncovered the underlying cause for our fertility problems. The sooner I can look into this, the closer we'll be to our future family of 3.

No comments: