Wednesday, March 14, 2007

The Polish Curse

I had my CD12 ultrasound today and it looks like bad news. They found a cyst on my right ovary. That's right - the same side that caused me grief in July when it decided to rupture on me. I had a feeling before I even went in for the appointment that there would be something wrong. It never fails. I guess it is my "Polish curse".

Ever since I was a youngster, I used to joke about my "Polish curse". It seemed that any other Polish person I knew or met had exactly the same luck I had - bad luck if any at all. Nothing ever worked on the first try. Maybe it worked on the second or third or more but the first time was almost always a bust. I just knew it had to do with being Polish. It was more than just a mere coincidence. Even something as small as buying a dishwasher would prove to be a huge feat in my household while I was growing up. (WARNING: LONG DRAWN-OUT STORY AHEAD) Our kitchen appliances were coordinated to be an "almond" color. Almond was an ivory shade, for those of you who aren't aware of interior decor lingo. Well, our dishwasher went up and we had to buy a new one. Unfortunately, the almond color was discontinued at every place we visited. Instead, they offered "bisque", which was more of an off-white than ivory. Not a dramatic difference but noticeable nonetheless. We finally went to Sears, where they assured us they had a few almond dishwashers left in stock. We considered ourselves lucky and ordered it on the spot. Well, when it arrived, we saw that it was bisque and not almond. We called them and they apologized for the mistake, promising to replace our bisque dishwasher with an almond one. Well, when the drivers showed up the next day, sure enough they brought bisque. After a long argument on the phone with Sears, the salespeople basically told my mother that they never said they had the almond color in stock and that they only have bisque (outright lie!). So, in the end, we wound up with the damn bisque dishwasher. That is just a minor look into the "Polish curse". I'm telling you that its true and it does exist. The "Polish curse" will show up in almost all aspects of your life if your maiden or last name ends in the suffix "-ski". Trust me. It has been verified by credible sources (me and every other "Pollock" I know) and continues to haunt me to this day. So, when I started struggling with infertility, I knew my "Polish curse" would find some way to weasle into that part of my life as well.

Anyway, I have to go back to the doctor on Saturday morning for another check-up. He noticed a secondary follicle on the left side and wants to see if that one has a chance of releasing. If it does, it is possible that ovulation hormones or AF (or simply time) could make the cyst disappear. (Is it true that time heals all wounds?) He mentioned it was benign but that I can't continue Clomid treatment until the cyst is gone - just in case it should grow larger.

I'm hoping for the best but preparing for the worst, if you know what I mean. I'm praying that the left side will make up for the right but preparing for the fact that I may have to sit out this cycle and go on birth control pills to shrink it. Oh, who am I kidding, I can't really prepare for that. I will just have to wait and see. Maybe, just maybe, that St. Patrick's Day luck will override that "Polish curse".

No comments: